Sunday, April 26, 2009

Photos of the Week - Lijiang's Bar Street

I just searched the internet for a while for a news article to put on here. Didn't find really anything to talk about.

In lieu of putting a mildly interesting news article on here today, I'm going to post some of the photos sitting on my laptop's hard drive. Seeing that my first personal blog was abandoned two years ago and my second blog is gone since I stopped paying for it, a lot of the travel photos I'd posted onto the internet have been lost, or at least buried.

So every week or so, I'd like to share some of the photos that I've taken in my three years in China.

The first place I'll highlight is the "Bar Street" from the old town of Lijiang in Yunnan Province:







I love night photography. This was obviously an amazing place to take photos at night.

I visited Lijiang in the summer of 2006. Unfortunately, I got giardiasis by eating a salad in an expensive restaurant on Lijiang's bar street. The two weeks that ensued were the sickest I've ever been in my life. My 135-pound, already lean, body dipped down to 120 pounds. I couldn't keep anything inside my body and had no appetite. A couple of the toughest weeks of my life, those were. Thankfully an American doctor working at a leper's clinic in Kunming was able to set me straight eventually (it's a long story).

So my memories of Lijiang are mixed. It's a very charming, although touristy, little place. But I couldn't really enjoy it too much as I was getting deathly ill.

Lesson learned, don't eat salads near in China. Especially near the Himalayas.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about getting ill.

For more info about Lijiang, visit www.travelpod.com/travel-blog/happysheep/shangri-la-la/tpod.html