Monday, February 9, 2009

Xi'an's Lantern Festival

Today was the official end of China's Spring Festival lunar new year celebration, the Lantern Festival. Jackie and her mom cooked me a delicious lunch, we relaxed in the afternoon, and then Jackie and I went on a walk near Xi'an's Wild Goose Pagoda at night.

Another awesome Spring Festival-related day. It's been a truly great two weeks.

I've been wanting to visually share my Spring Festival experiences on this blog. Today I finally got the chance to take out my camera and take some pictures.

The following photos help show what I experienced this evening:


This one came out pretty trippy... a lantern-face


热闹得很 - a very lively atmosphere


Hordes of people on 雁塔西路 (YanTaXiLu)


Jackie explained to me that on the Lantern Festival Eve people put up little riddles on pieces of paper


A man examining and thinking hard about this riddle


Lantern Festival toys for sale


The Big Wild Goose Pagoda


I made this panorama of the Big Wild Goose Pagoda using Canon's Photostitch


Fireworks being sold.

I've talked before about the importance of fireworks during Chinese New Year. This is my third year to experience Spring Festival and each year I'm surprised by the amount of fireworks lit that night. It seriously sounds like a war zone for hours.

Although tonight couldn't compare with New Year's Eve, there were still plenty of fireworks lit.

Here are a couple videos as evidence:





My first day in China, February 12, 2006, was Lantern Festival. So today marks my three year anniversary living in China (according to the lunar calendar).

How interesting and wonderful these three years they have been!

No comments: